“There isn't a separate etiquette book for California. We're part of the human race, too…”
Every time I have devoted this space to scholarly remarks about tourists, I have been brought under fire via the U. S. Mail. Great literary violence has been heaped upon my head by members of the sunglasses and flowing shirt tail set.
The latest episode was different in only one respect. If you will recall, a few weeks ago I remarked about hideous appearance of so-called sports who travel to Catalina Island. As usual, many of my fans here at the paper stuck their heads inside the door to give me Bronx cheers and other forms of invective, but this time the mail brought a pleasant departure.
A charming lady named Grace Seiger Walton took the time to write a letter and say that she agreed with my viewpoint. I'd like to share parts of her letter with you today.
"My husband and I had just returned from four days over there across the channel and were just fascinated by the variety of 'sport' attire. My good spouse took a sport coat (and wore it) in spite of the fact that I kept warning him that he would look like a freak to the rest of the visitors. So you see - your article brought us much mirth and we immediately recalled the couple coming into the little bar at the St. Catherine in their swim suits. Boy times have changed over there!"
MRS. WALTON continued: "But my real purpose in writing is to mention if you think the people in Avalon look like a bunch of ill-dressed clowns you evidently have not been to Disneyland lately!
"That by far is the most complete array of sartorial disgust that I have ever seen gathered in one community. It would take a ream of paper to commentate on the combinations we saw over there last week. But, one couple (dames) fat-ish, forty-ish, giddy-ish - dressed in short-shorts with more showing than Sally Rand ever let show beyond her fans."
You are correct in your assumption, dear lady, that I have not been to Disneyland yet. I've been saving that for a time when my spirits are at a low ebb. Usually, I can pick out enough sloppy attire on the streets of Long Beach to fill this column adequately.
However, I would add that I HAVE been to Knott's Berry Farm several times. The most recent trip was a few weeks ago when my wife and I went there for dinner with our two small nieces.
All I can say is that I KNOW what you MEAN! I haven't seen such a collection in years.
It seems to me that the management at Knott's used to frown on women frequenting the establishment while attired in shorts -but those days evidently are gone forever. Women of all shapes and sizes stroll the area, showing much more skin than sense. And the men? Well, most of them look like in they've just been rescued from a sinking at sea!
We ate in the big dining room-where they serve the chicken dinners and I am forced to admit that the state of dress of most of the patrons reminded me of pictures I have seen of meal time at Devil's Island!
I REALIZE that by saying this I am making myself a target for more jibes by the dirty-fingernail-and-uncut-hair set, but I can't understand how people with an ounce of pride in their make- up will be seen in public in such ratty attire.
I'm all for comfort. I don't think you have to wear a business suit for a visit to Disneyland or Knott's or Catalina. There are clothes made expressly for such trips they are called sport clothes. There's nothing wrong with them, they look wonderful under these circumstances. And most bona-fide sport outfits include a coat for men!
This isn't a quirk on my part - it's just common decency, good manners.
"But this is California!" the alibi artists will wail. To which I reply, "So WHAT?" There isn't a separate etiquette book for California. We're part of the human race, too. And I stand by my guns - I don't care WHO a man is, if he isn't dressed neatly, I know WHAT he is… he's a SLOB! — By Ted Krec, for the Long Beach Independent, 1958
The latest episode was different in only one respect. If you will recall, a few weeks ago I remarked about hideous appearance of so-called sports who travel to Catalina Island. As usual, many of my fans here at the paper stuck their heads inside the door to give me Bronx cheers and other forms of invective, but this time the mail brought a pleasant departure.
A charming lady named Grace Seiger Walton took the time to write a letter and say that she agreed with my viewpoint. I'd like to share parts of her letter with you today.
"My husband and I had just returned from four days over there across the channel and were just fascinated by the variety of 'sport' attire. My good spouse took a sport coat (and wore it) in spite of the fact that I kept warning him that he would look like a freak to the rest of the visitors. So you see - your article brought us much mirth and we immediately recalled the couple coming into the little bar at the St. Catherine in their swim suits. Boy times have changed over there!"
MRS. WALTON continued: "But my real purpose in writing is to mention if you think the people in Avalon look like a bunch of ill-dressed clowns you evidently have not been to Disneyland lately!
"That by far is the most complete array of sartorial disgust that I have ever seen gathered in one community. It would take a ream of paper to commentate on the combinations we saw over there last week. But, one couple (dames) fat-ish, forty-ish, giddy-ish - dressed in short-shorts with more showing than Sally Rand ever let show beyond her fans."
You are correct in your assumption, dear lady, that I have not been to Disneyland yet. I've been saving that for a time when my spirits are at a low ebb. Usually, I can pick out enough sloppy attire on the streets of Long Beach to fill this column adequately.
However, I would add that I HAVE been to Knott's Berry Farm several times. The most recent trip was a few weeks ago when my wife and I went there for dinner with our two small nieces.
| “DON’T MOW YOUR LAWN! Forget it! It’ll only need cutting again next week. Instead, bring your family to Disneyland now. You’ll have fun, and so will they!” — So reads a newspaper advertisement for Disneyland from 1958. It features a cantankerous looking Donald Duck, and was placed in the paper next to this very article. Presumably, Disneyland wanted you to visit, but just not wearing the same clothes you were going to mow the lawn in! |
Something for the Boys:
Ol' Ted Finds Ally in Tourist Battle
All I can say is that I KNOW what you MEAN! I haven't seen such a collection in years.
It seems to me that the management at Knott's used to frown on women frequenting the establishment while attired in shorts -but those days evidently are gone forever. Women of all shapes and sizes stroll the area, showing much more skin than sense. And the men? Well, most of them look like in they've just been rescued from a sinking at sea!
We ate in the big dining room-where they serve the chicken dinners and I am forced to admit that the state of dress of most of the patrons reminded me of pictures I have seen of meal time at Devil's Island!
I REALIZE that by saying this I am making myself a target for more jibes by the dirty-fingernail-and-uncut-hair set, but I can't understand how people with an ounce of pride in their make- up will be seen in public in such ratty attire.
I'm all for comfort. I don't think you have to wear a business suit for a visit to Disneyland or Knott's or Catalina. There are clothes made expressly for such trips they are called sport clothes. There's nothing wrong with them, they look wonderful under these circumstances. And most bona-fide sport outfits include a coat for men!
This isn't a quirk on my part - it's just common decency, good manners.
"But this is California!" the alibi artists will wail. To which I reply, "So WHAT?" There isn't a separate etiquette book for California. We're part of the human race, too. And I stand by my guns - I don't care WHO a man is, if he isn't dressed neatly, I know WHAT he is… he's a SLOB! — By Ted Krec, for the Long Beach Independent, 1958
🍽️Etiquette Enthusiast, Maura J. Graber of The RSVP Institute of Etiquette, is the Site Editor of the Etiquipedia© Etiquette Encyclopedia

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.