|It could be called tact... If you know a fat girl with a slim sister, always mistake the fat one for the slim one, and vice versa.|
- When a lady gives you her seat in a street car, thank her, but in such a manner that she will not be emboldened to open a conversation with you.
- Going down the aisle of a theater allow the lady to precede you, unless you are attending the play alone. In that case you go first.
- When some one calls you by phone and says: "Do you know who is talking?" and you answer that you do not, and the person continues to ask if you don't or can't guess, utter a joyous peal of laughter and say you know it is the sanitarium. Then hang up the receiver.
- If you are walking along the street, carrying packages in both hands, and meet a lady who speaks to you, hold the packages in your teeth while you lift your hat to her.
- If you know a fat girl with a slim sister, always mistake the fat one for the slim one, and vice versa.
- When waltzing with a lady who steps upon your toes, it is nice, if you have a wooden leg, to keep the foot of that leg where she will step upon it oftenest. You can do this unobtrusively with a little practice. — The Delineator, 1910
Etiquette Enthusiast, Maura J Graber, is the Site Moderator and Editor for the Etiquipedia© Etiquette Encyclopedia