Entering A Car Gracefully
1. After the door is opened, pivot smoothly and lower yourself (back straight, please) to the very edge of the car seat. It's a long stretch from the edge of the seat to the outside of the car.
2. Place one hand high on the back of the seat and the other on the front edge of the seat.
3. Keep your knees together, lift your legs and swing them into the car, knees leading and feet lifted so you don't bump into the dashboard or door-frame. This will take a little extra exertion, using the muscles in your thighs, but it will be more than worth it, because your skirt will stay in place, and you look like a graceful lady always in command.
4. Place your hands flat on the seat, and lift your body up, and back. Don't wiggle it over into the seat. You then should be comfortably seated with no fuss or embarrassment. It even works in a small sports car.
Getting Out of a Car
1. Place your hands on the seat and lift your body as close to the door as possible.
2. When a fellow opens the door for you, swing your legs out, just as you did getting in. And there you are. — "Wendy Ward Charm Book," 1972
Etiquette Enthusiast, Maura J Graber, is the Site Moderator and Editor for the Etiquipedia© Etiquette Encyclopedia